• OzzModz is no longer taking registrations. All registrations are being redirected to Snog's Site
    All addons and support is available there now.

Dreadlocks Site webspeed optomisation

Elijah

i run Dreads UK - Forum, Gatherings, Articles, Dreadlocks and more... and i'm looking to understand more and make our website run faster whilst maintaining all the features.

It looks like my first port of call is to read over the sticky threads and work through those first. Just wanted to open this thread first incase there are some obvious suggestions any of you can see and would like to make known.

Thanks to MaxTaxable for the directions and Ozzy for looking over our site the first time round.

Personally I would make the gallery visible to logged in members only. Ask yourself: Is it compelling to have for visitors? Does it increase registration and participation? Is it worth the bandwidth and database calls it generates with each page load - when a great amount of that is just spiders? Is it worth the server load and the extra load time?

We have to cast our own ego and preferences aside a little bit, eschew anything on the page that's purely there because we like it, and figure out if it's really beneficial to the site or just me. (You're going to see it while logged in anyway as will your members.)

We're seeking a balance between form and function, looks and performance. Trying not to sacrifice one too much for the other.

I think they are beneficial. Going on our facebook page. We've probably gained 80% of out followers because of photos. Our forum is about dreadlocks, the main thing that attract people is the fact that they link with other people with dreadlocks. There are places all over the country where people with dreads dont know anyone else with dreads and thats what they want to see.

Particularly if they are looking for someone romantically. What they see a pic of a hottie with dreads, they want to know who it is and get chatting to find out more.

There isn;t anything on there i think isn't nessisary.

I would rather pay extra money for hosting that make it run faster than sacrifice quality and what draws people in.

I would rather pay extra money for hosting that make it run faster than sacrifice quality and what draws people in.
You'll find the problems persist. CDNs and dedicated hosting aren't magic bullets for poor site performance.

You can have the images without all the bloat and without all the JS the slideshow uses. You're simply really not all that interested in improving performance.

You'll find the problems persist. CDNs and dedicated hosting aren't magic bullets for poor site performance.

You can have the images without all the bloat and without all the JS the slideshow uses. You're simply really not all that interested in improving performance.

So i've just installed vBOptomize and its asking for what Opcache Operator we use. Does VB4 have one already? Someone recommended installing xcache so im working on that now too.

The options vBOp is offering are
Memcache
Xcache
APC
eAccelerator
wincache
filecache

Does VB4 have any of these already?

It's already there and if not, it tells you when you try to save after choosing it.

You can't do any damage using that Mod.

Sweet, all sorted, thanks dude. Thats up and running but first bite time still F so im not looking at htaccess file. struggling a bit tho. Just posted on that thread

Back