• OzzModz is no longer taking registrations. All registrations are being redirected to Snog's Site
    All addons and support is available there now.

Forum Runner - Your thoughts?

EasyEazy

We currently use Tapatalk and the mobile skin which is more than enough for our members. Just want to get the feedback if any of you use Forum Runner on your boards? Is it worth activating? I logged into their forums today and first thread was about Forum Runner being dead or on its last legs.

Worth it or not?

I don't use either, just the mobile skin. There have been to many security issues with those apps for me.

This is also the reason I don't recommend any spam mods that send info to another site. First off, I don't need users denied access because someone else reported them as a spammer. Two, because I am a grown man, and can manage my site on my own, and three, because I think it is a bad idea to be sending any info from your DB to another site, no matter what it is. :)

That is true. Just went to check for an update on Tapatalk and found this thread

VB 4.x - Tapatalk 5.3.0 sends whole user database to tapatalk.com?! | Tapatalk Support

If true from reading it that cant be good for those who have updated.
Umm, no it is not true. This new feature is by default, off and doesn't do anything until you turn it on in adminCP.

It's for mass email of members to get them re-engaged. TT always had a way to mass email, this is just a expanded version of it.

Still, the functionality is there to be exploited, weather it is off or on, so no thank you. :)

Still, the functionality is there to be exploited, weather it is off or on, so no thank you. :)
For many years TT has been used by thousands of boards and CMS programs, not just vBulletin ones. It's just a app. It doesn't do anything you don't permission it to do during install.

Right, but if someone finds a vulnerability in TT, like has been so many times in the past, they have access to your full user DB then.

Umm, no it is not true. This new feature is by default, off and doesn't do anything until you turn it on in adminCP.

It's for mass email of members to get them re-engaged. TT always had a way to mass email, this is just a expanded version of it.

Didnt go massively into it but still wouldn't be happy about the option being added. I im far from a web genius but that could link to my database cant be good.

Right, but if someone finds a vulnerability in TT, like has been so many times in the past, they have access to your full user DB then.
They don't store the data. They access the DB when you tell them to do so, for mass mailings. Your DB is just as much if not more at risk stored in your host server.
Didnt go massively into it but still wouldn't be happy about the option being added. I im far from a web genius but that could link to my database cant be good.
Your DB is just as much if not more at risk stored in your host server.

TT doesn't store the data. That would require a massive database. There's nothing there for a hacker to access.

I of course understand 3rd party stuff can have its security issues. That's not in question and it generally is good advice for people not to use them.

But specifically and for that very reason, I studied and watched tapatalk for many years before using it. It's no more a security risk to you than your own hosting is. I wouldn't have ever installed it without being able to make that determination.

You're alot more at risk from people, giving folks admin powers on your forum, than you are from tapatalk. There's degrees of risk in just about every decision we make.

I certify it safe. Take that with however many grains of salt you want. It's just a informed opinion.

Last edited:
Back