• OzzModz is no longer taking registrations. All registrations are being redirected to Snog's Site
    All addons and support is available there now.

Image Compression Question

EasyEazy

I have been compressing images on my forum using Yahoo Smush IT

I seen a forum post on vB.org where someone has used Kraken.io

Ran some of the images I had already done through it and its reducing them by 60% which is great. Question is what is the difference between the two websites and which one do you guys use?

I don't use either. I let webpagetest dot org do this work for me, when I test my sites there. It not only tells you which ones need optimized, it actually does it for you.

That's one way to do it max but I find it much slower, then again, I deal with thousands of images across several dozen folders. However if you want to be tedious and do things a bit slower, one page at a time like max, then more power to you
It's not one page at a time, it's every image that loads, all at the same time.

But yes, for 1000s of images I wouldn't be using that. It's like I said - for my own sites, one site at a time.

And with everything optimized, I only need to do this again when I add new images to the script, which is very rare.

Not a big deal for me at all, only handling four sites and maybe 60 images total. That's a far cry from your requirements.

Thanks for the input guys. Ill have a look at both methods mentioned.
On WPT you run the test on your own site using IE 10 parameter, then when the test is finished click on the waterfall that results, then under the resulting larger image of it, there will be a link for "view all images" and on that page, it will tell you which of your images need optimized, if any.

Ones that do need it, have a link associated with them that says "Analyze JPG" and clicking that results in WPT optimizing that image for you. Then it's only a matter of saving that optimized image to your computer, renaming it to match what's on the server, then upload to overwrite.

Sounds complicated but only takes a minute or so per image. Plus, you get the actual facts about what you're loading on browsers.

On WPT you run the test on your own site using IE 10 parameter, then when the test is finished click on the waterfall that results, then under the resulting larger image of it, there will be a link for "view all images" and on that page, it will tell you which of your images need optimized, if any.

Ones that do need it, have a link associated with them that says "Analyze JPG" and clicking that results in WPT optimizing that image for you. Then it's only a matter of saving that optimized image to your computer, renaming it to match what's on the server, then upload to overwrite.

Sounds complicated but only takes a minute or so per image. Plus, you get the actual facts about what you're loading on browsers.

Sounds easy enough. Thanks Max

Back