• OzzModz is no longer taking registrations. All registrations are being redirected to Snog's Site
    All addons and support is available there now.

Need best spam control measures

jimsflies

I run a couple of anti spam add ons, but have recently been bombarded with new registrations which look fishy.

Currently, I have vB Bad Behavior, GlowHost - Spam-O-Matic, default captchas and renamed the register.php file.

I see references to "spaminator" where can I get some of this?

My website traffic has blown up in the past few days...over tippled what the normal load is. When I look at who's online, there are a ton of hits on the registration page...even as I type this.

Last edited:
"Spaminator" is in very limited testing still at this point. PM [MENTION=1]Ozzy47[/MENTION] though to find out if he will add your site to the limited testing.

Meanwhile see "The Era of Big Spam is Over" thread for the current list of our recommendations for stopping spam.

The Era Of Big Spam Is Over.

Yeah, I'm not seeing much on that thread I haven't already tried...or that I think will be useful. It does seem as though I have slowed successful registrations by replacing the security questions with captchas.

I would be interested in getting on the beta.

Yeah, I'm not seeing much on that thread I haven't already tried...or that I think will be useful. It does seem as though I have slowed successful registrations by replacing the security questions with captchas.

I've never seen a board armed to the teeth like we suggest in that thread, continue to have spam problems.
Send Ozzy a PM and he might just hook you up.

Not sure what's going on...it seems like in the past few weeks my site has been under constant bombardment. I have the spam stopper mod (among others) and I'm still sure some of the new registrations are not real. The number of users on site went up by 200-300% on average (mostly bots). I had to disable the email notifications of the spam stopper because I am getting hundreds per day.

I notice that the same email addresses are getting denied, but are trying with different IPs.

I'd like to serve an eviction notice and get this situation back under control.

I sent [MENTION=1]Ozzy47[/MENTION] a pm, but haven't heard back yet.

Not sure what's going on...it seems like in the past few weeks my site has been under constant bombardment. I have the spam stopper mod (among others) and I'm still sure some of the new registrations are not real. The number of users on site went up by 200-300% on average (mostly bots). I had to disable the email notifications of the spam stopper because I am getting hundreds per day.

I notice that the same email addresses are getting denied, but are trying with different IPs.

I'd like to serve an eviction notice and get this situation back under control.

I sent [MENTION=1]Ozzy47[/MENTION] a pm, but haven't heard back yet.
I'm yet to see a site I couldn't totally secure from spam, even before Spaminator. This includes a couple that have 2-4 thousand visitors, routine at any given time and get over 300 posts per day.

If you would like, shoot me a PM with admin login credentials and I'll take a good look and see what's going on.

Back