• OzzModz is no longer taking registrations. All registrations are being redirected to Snog's Site
    All addons and support is available there now.

Addon [OzzModz] Registration Spaminator

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not showing the privacy and the terms and rules checkboxes in the register form, had to turn them off to register a new user.

Getting late, got ten so far, so I'm going to let it go tonight and see how it turns out.

I'll have to check that out later today and see why.

It's not showing the privacy and the terms and rules checkboxes in the register form, had to turn them off to register a new user.

Thanks for catching that, it is now fixed in version 1.0.2 which is available for download. You can upgrade normally, no need to uninstall this time.

Got it. Much better, I do want to keep email verification and terms of service.
I notice they're turned off here.

32 caught as of now, but I suspect they're low hanging fruit that would probably have been caught by SFS.
The users that caused me problems recently had cryptic usernames, with the gmail address the same as the username.
The message was in Chinese (I think) with some kind of university name at the end of the post, and they were breezing through the SFS Xenforo deal.

I was disappointed with the Xenforo - StopForumSpam setup, mainly because of the inability of turning off usernames. I had legitimate users being kicked into moderation or rejected with usernames as simple as Kevin7 or something like that.
IMO, usernames are a useless trigger, and IP's are getting the same way (except in the case of server farms). Email addresses are pretty solid, once an email address has been used a few times, you can count on it being reliably bad.

Anyway, thanks.
BTW, no bad guys got through last night.

Last edited:
Do you think I could perhaps help test Spaminator?

Nerdface is only a small community, but we've had our fair share of spam bots registering (thankfully other defences have prevented them from posting). It should hopefully provide some useful data.. :giggle:

Do you think I could perhaps help test Spaminator?

Nerdface is only a small community, but we've had our fair share of spam bots registering (thankfully other defences have prevented them from posting). It should hopefully provide some useful data.. :giggle:

I’ll get back to you a bit later. :)

It's been working great. I did laugh my ass off this afternoon when I finally checked the test box in options and saw what was going on. :)

Bad thing is another one of my spammers breezed right through registration and got a dozen or more posts on the board.
I do believe these are human spammers.

PS - up to 74 stopped.

Last edited:
Well... There is no doubt it is human if it got through the Spaminator. Can't be automated and get through it.

Did you see my post before, about how Ozzy and I handle the human spammers?

One of my sites hit the 3800 mark today, for bots stopped. Almost 3 weeks in.

I did laugh my ass off this afternoon when I finally checked the test box in options and saw what was going on.
That's.... Educational ain't it? The evil simplicity and elegance of it.

On fail, it does just what xF does on success, except it creates no account. Therefore it does not throw up any flags in xrumer. There's no "gotcha" or any kind of failure alert, like every other anti-spam measure stupidly has.

I like elegant.
Part of elegant is NO use of third party scripts, services, lists and the ilk. Part of elegant is making the bots jump through all the hoops, and the legitimate person none. It's a higher standard we've set.

And it started with a credo. In response to naysayers at vBulletin relying on the old self-defeatist chestnut of "some spam is always going to get through no matter what you do" I said:

"We believe we are smarter, more creative and clever, even better looking than any human spammer, botnet admin or autobot programmer. They are bottom feeders, we are creators. They are parasites, destroyers. They're not some all-powerful gods, they are suckfish. And we can and will defeat them. The era of Big Spam is OVER!"

4220 caught at one of my sites to date. None gotten through. Running completely naked with only the Spaminator standing between my site and the spammers.

They just keep chugging along, trying to register? Spaminator just keeps chugging along, bagging them. Each. And every. One of them.

There's too many landmines, too many piles of dogshit to get through without stepping on them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back