• OzzModz is no longer taking registrations. All registrations are being redirected to Snog's Site
    All addons and support is available there now.

Thanks/Like to influence search result ranking?

PJRC

This is probably a long-shot... since I asked the same question of BDTech and they said it would be "not easily accomplished".

But my hope is to find a way for the Like/Thanks on posts to influence search result ranking.

When you search on a forum with many posts, often hundreds of results are returned. Somewhere in those hundreds of threads are some really good posts. But most of the threads aren't very interesting. It's be really awesome to somehow rank the search results, so the good threads are shown first... much like how Google manages to show you the few good results first from thousands of mostly mediocre pages! Unlike Google, we have active communities that help identify the good stuff.

Anyone have any thoughts? Is there a way? Maybe? Or is Belazor at BDTech right?

EDIT: Disregard, I thought of something and posted it.

Of course, smarter folks than me such as [MENTION=1]Ozzy47[/MENTION] might have different thoughts on this.

Last edited:
Only way to do this right off the top of my head and that wouldn't be a massive deal?

Write a hack that hides posts from public view, that don't have X amount of "thanks" or "likes" on them. You can make it one, two, three, etc.

This would hide posts that don't get thanked the set number of times, from human visitors as well - they would have to log in to read entire threads.

BUT - only the thanked or liked posts would be indexed by search engines. What this would do to your ranking, no damn idea. But only the "quality" posts as determined by your membership, would be indexed.

If you did this I wouldn't let it generally be known though. Folks will start trying to manipulate this.

Last edited:
Back