• OzzModz is no longer taking registrations. All registrations are being redirected to Snog's Site
    All addons and support is available there now.

6 times Donald Trump felt he was misunderstood by the media

Luke Skywalker

Super Moderator
{vb:raw ozzmodz_postquote}:
636062812690678386-AP-APTOPIX-Campaign-2016-Trump.jpg
Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump waves after delivering an economic policy speech to the Detroit Economic Club, Monday, Aug. 8, 2016, in Detroit.<span style="color: Red;">*</span>(Photo: Evan Vucci, AP)

Donald Trump's suggestion that "Second Amendment people" could stop Hillary Clinton<span style="color: Red;">*</span>if she became president and appointed anti-gun judges sparked outrage and shock among his critics. Less shocking was Trump's response, calling out the "dishonest media."
“It’s called the power of unification —<span style="color: Red;">*</span>2nd<span style="color: Red;">*</span>Amendment people have amazing spirit and are tremendously unified, which gives them great political power," said Jason Miller, senior communications adviser for the Trump campaign, in response to the uproar over the comment. "And this year, they will be voting in record numbers, and it won’t be for Hillary Clinton, it will be for Donald Trump.”
Trump also responded on Twitter:
Media desperate to distract from Clinton's anti-2A stance. I said pro-2A citizens must organize and get out vote to save our Constitution!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 10, 2016

When is the media going to talk about Hillary's policies that have gotten people killed, like Libya, open borders, and maybe her emails?
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 10, 2016

The statement was serious enough to prompt a comment from the U.S. Secret Service, but according to Trump, it was just another case of the media misunderstanding his words. It's not the first time that's happened this election cycle.
Here are some of the greatest offenses:
[h=2]1. The time Trump said McCain was a war hero only 'because he was captured'[/h]Perhaps the first Trumpism that spread like wildfire was his criticism of John McCain in June 2015. Trump slammed the Arizona Republican senator during a presidential candidates forum in Iowa, claiming he has not done enough to curb illegal immigration. Moderator Frank Lutz cut in, pointing out that McCain was held for five years as a prisoner of war.
That's when Trump said,<span style="color: Red;">*</span>"He's a war hero because he was captured. I like people that weren't captured, OK?"
His comments came under fire from his critics,<span style="color: Red;">*</span>including several of his then-rivals in the GOP primaries. In their eyes, Trump's comment<span style="color: Red;">*</span>was a slap in the face to the sacrifices McCain and other service members have made for the USA.
After Donald Trump spends six years in a POW camp, he can weigh in on John McCain's service
— Gov. Bobby Jindal (@BobbyJindal) July 18, 2015

Trump didn't apologize, but he did clarify.
Captured or not, all our soldiers are heroes!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 18, 2015

Trump later said on ABC's This Week,<span style="color: Red;">*</span>"I'm very disappointed in John McCain because the vets are horribly treated in this country." He claimed he has used his fortune to help veterans, which has since come under scrutiny.
USA TODAY
Trump blasts media, says he has given $5.6M to vets groups

[h=2]2. The time he said Megyn Kelly has blood 'coming out of her wherever'[/h]
635894954171552451-AP-GOP-2016-Trump.jpg
Donald Trump does not like Megyn Kelly.<span style="color: Red;">*</span>(Photo: John Minchillo, AP)

In the first GOP debate, Fox News host Megyn Kelly questioned Trump's<span style="color: Red;">*</span>treatment of women, including his use of epithets such as "fat pigs," "slobs" and "dogs" directed at certain people. In retaliation, Trump<span style="color: Red;">*</span>questioned her menstrual cycle.
"I think she's highly overrated," he told Don Lemon on CNN. "She starts asking me all sorts of ridiculous questions, and you could see there was blood coming out of her eyes. Blood coming out of her wherever. She was, in my opinion, she was off-base."
Trump clarified his comments on Twitter, saying he meant Kelly's nose — not her genitalia. He later said only a deviant would think otherwise.
He had a different response when conservative blogger Erick Ericson dis-invited Trump from an event that weekend in Atlanta. Erickson said he didn't want someone "who gets a hostile question from a lady and his first inclination is to imply<span style="color: Red;">*</span>it was hormonal." A Trump spokesman, in turn,<span style="color: Red;">*</span>Erickson's actions were "another example of weakness through being politically correct."
[h=2]3. The time he mocked a reporter with disabilities[/h]While on the campaign trail in South Carolina, Trump pushed back against comments made by New York Times reporter Serge Kovaleski about a story he wrote shortly after the 9/11 terror attacks. But he did it by calling out Kovaleski's appearance.
"You've got to see this guy," Trump said at a rally. He bent his wrists and jerked them around.
xEmbed

xShare

Presidential candidate Donald Trump criticized New York Times reporter Serge Kovaleski who has has a chronic condition that affects how his arms move.
Video provided by Newsy Newslook

The story in question was one Kovaleski wrote in 2001 as a reporter for the<span style="color: Red;">*</span>Washington Post. In it, Kovaleski wrote that<span style="color: Red;">*</span>New Jersey "law enforcement authorities detained and questioned a number of people who were allegedly seen celebrating the attacks and holding tailgate-style parties on rooftops while they watched the devastation on the other side of the river." When Trump referred to it to bolster his claim that he saw "thousands" of Arabs celebrating 9/11, Kovaleski went on CNN and pointed out that he didn't see<span style="color: Red;">*</span>large numbers of people celebrating.
Trump's remarks sparked outrage, and to this day some of his critics bring it up when they say they cannot support the GOP nominee. But Trump suggested the blowback was just the result of the<span style="color: Red;">*</span>Times'<span style="color: Red;">*</span><span style="color: Red;">*</span>"constant hits on Donald Trump."
[h=2]4. The time he said club patrons should be armed after Orlando's Pulse attack<span style="color: Red;">*</span>[/h]The Orlando shooting that left 49 patrons of a gay nightclub dead and dozens more injured —<span style="color: Red;">*</span>becoming the deadliest mass shooting in recent U.S. history —<span style="color: Red;">*</span>was quickly politicized on both sides, whether it was because of the suspect's arsenal of weapons or his self-radicalization and support of the Islamic State. Among Trump's various comments on the terror attack, he suggested the massacre could have been less severe if people had been armed in the club.
Days later, NRA Vice President Wayne LaPierre told CBS's Face the Nation, "I don’t think you should have firearms where people are drinking."
LaPierre must have misunderstood Trump. The next day, Trump tweeted that he meant security guards and employees all along.
When I said that if, within the Orlando club, you had some people with guns, I was obviously talking about additional guards or employees
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 20, 2016

USA TODAY
Fact check: Donald Trump on the Orlando shooting

[h=2]5. The time Trump slammed 'Crooked Hillary'<span style="color: Red;">*</span>— with the Star of David[/h]xEmbed

xShare

Donald Trump deleted a tweet criticizing Hillary Clinton after it was accused anti-Semitism. USA TODAY

Trump's mockery of Clinton becoming the presumptive nominee backfired when people realized the anti-Clinton image he tweeted had a six-pointed shape resembling the Star of David against a backdrop of $100 bills. Attention quickly turned to what appeared to be unconscious anti-Semitic overtones in his critique of Clinton, from the Nazi Germany-era's<span style="color: Red;">*</span>yellow star label to the age-old stereotype that Jewish people are money-hungry and corrupt.
Trump later said the star was a sheriff's badge and blamed the media for making that connection, even though the campaign got the image from a neo-Nazi Internet message board.
USA TODAY
Kirsten Powers: That's no sheriff's star, Trump

[h=2]6. The time Trump attacked the parents of a slain U.S. Army captain[/h]xEmbed

xShare

The father of a Muslim-American Army captain killed in Iraq offered a challenge to Donald Trump during a speech at the Democratic National Convention. Khizr Kahn's son, Humayun Khan, was killed during Operation Iraqi Freedom in 2004.

Perhaps the most powerful moment of the Democratic National Convention was the speech delivered by Khizr Khan, father of U.S. Army Capt. Humayun Khan.<span style="color: Red;">*</span>Khizr and his wife, Ghazala, who are Muslim, criticized Trump in front of a packed stage and millions of TV viewers for his proposed ban of Muslims from entering the U.S. in front of a packed stadium, among other broad statements about Muslims.
"He vows to build walls and ban us from this country. Donald Trump, you're asking Americans to trust you with their future. Let me ask you, have you even read the<span style="color: Red;">*</span>United States Constitution?" he said, holding up his own copy of the document.
"You have<span style="color: Red;">*</span>sacrificed nothing!<span style="color: Red;">*</span>And no one," he added.<span style="color: Red;">*</span>"We cannot solve our problems by building walls."
Trump, as he normally does, responded to the attack. First, he said he thought<span style="color: Red;">*</span>he had<span style="color: Red;">*</span>made several sacrifices and suggested the speech came from the Clinton campaign's writers. Then, he released a statement saying that while Capt. Khan is a hero, his parents have "no right to stand in front of millions of people and claim I have never read the Constitution, (which is false) and say many other inaccurate things."
He responded the next day on Twitter. And again the day after that.
I was viciously attacked by Mr. Khan at the Democratic Convention. Am I not allowed to respond? Hillary voted for the Iraq war, not me!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 31, 2016

Mr. Khan, who does not know me, viciously attacked me from the stage of the DNC and is now all over T.V. doing the same - Nice!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 1, 2016

Trump's critics<span style="color: Red;">*</span>— and even some within his own party<span style="color: Red;">*</span>— blasted him for his attack on the Gold Star parents. Among those who responded were military groups and McCain, who said the nominee's remarks does not reflect Republican values.
Weeks later, the feud continues to haunt the Trump campaign. U.S. Sen. Susan Collins of Maine cited it as one of the reasons why she cannot support the Republican nominee.