• OzzModz is no longer taking registrations. All registrations are being redirected to Snog's Site
    All addons and support is available there now.

Indept Page Speed / Site Load Help Please

ScoobyDoo

If anyone could help with this it'd be GREATLY appreciated. I've been noticing for sometime now that my site is UNBELIEVABLY slow. Like a turtle with 2 legs that walked in some glue slow. Yes, I am using Godaddy, which apparently is a server error, I guess, but surely all below can't be cause of them. Would someone please help me?

I just ran a Google Page Speed Test, and it reads as follows:

Mobile:

[!] 65 / 100 Speed

Should Fix:
Eliminate render-blocking JavaScript and CSS in above-the-fold content
Your page has 1 blocking script resources. This causes a delay in rendering your page.

None of the above-the-fold content on your page could be rendered without waiting for the following resources to load. Try to defer or asynchronously load blocking resources, or inline the critical portions of those resources directly in the HTML.

Remove render-blocking javascript:

http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs.../jquery.min.js

Reduce server response time

In our test, your server responded in 1.2 seconds. There are many factors that can slow down your server response time. Please read our recommendations to learn how you can monitor and measure where your server is spending the most time.
Consider Fixing:
Prioritize visible content
Leverage browser caching
Setting an expiry date or a maximum age in the HTTP headers for static resources instructs the browser to load previously downloaded resources from local disk rather than over the network.
Leverage browser caching for the following cacheable resources:

404 Not Found (expiration not specified)

Desktop:

[!] 69 / 100 Speed

[!] Should Fix:
Optimize images
Reduce server response time

In our test, your server responded in 1.2 seconds. There are many factors that can slow down your server response time. Please read our recommendations to learn how you can monitor and measure where your server is spending the most time.

Consider Fixing:

Eliminate render-blocking JavaScript and CSS in above-the-fold content
Your page has 8 blocking script resources and 5 blocking CSS resources. This causes a delay in rendering your page.

None of the above-the-fold content on your page could be rendered without waiting for the following resources to load. Try to defer or asynchronously load blocking resources, or inline the critical portions of those resources directly in the HTML.

Remove render-blocking javascript:

404 (Page Not Found) Error - Ever feel like you're in the wrong place?
http://www.thecadcamforum.com/mobiquo/smartbanner/appbanner.js

Optimize CSS Delivery of the following:

http://www.thecadcamforum.com/css.php?stylei...rmcontrols.css,
http://www.thecadcamforum.com/mobiquo/smartbanner/appbanner.css
http://www.thecadcamforum.com/css.php?stylei...ss,options.css
http://www.thecadcamforum.com/css.php?stylei...s,tagcloud.css
http://www.thecadcamforum.com/css.php?stylei...additional.css

Minify HTML
Compacting HTML code, including any inline JavaScript and CSS contained in it, can save many bytes of data and speed up download and parse times.

Minify HTML for the following resources to reduce their size by 5.5KiB (9% reduction).

Minifying The CAD CAM Forum / CNC Forum could save 4.8KiB (9% reduction) after compression.

Thank you in advance ! (I hope )

All the aforementioned had been previously posted on another site, and since then I've Disabled the Plug-In/Hook System. A real Rocket Scientist is needed here, that's for sure! :sad:

Let's ignore google speed test and use only WebPageTest so we can see what is happening with real browsers, real connections.

By far your # 1 problem is your site is attempting to load images from three different styles at once.

Create a new style with no parent, to get the default vB style online and let's test that, first of all. Make it the only style that can be used.

Here's details from WPT: WebPagetest Test Details - Dulles : [url]www.thecadcamforum.com/ - 04/23/14 17:41:53[/url]

Create a new style with no parent, to get the default vB style online and let's test that, first of all.

Just did that. At first it said:

Service Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.
Apache Server at thecadcamforum.com Port 80

And couldn't even access the AdminCP, but now I can.

Last edited:
I had that too for a minute but I'm loading the site just fine now. I think you experienced a temporary situation that only just happened to coincide with your addition.

Creating a new style with no parent cannot crash the site or cause the 301 error we saw.

Please PM me admin credentials.

You are calling up many forum statusicons that don't exist. You either need to upload them to the locations called for or more likely, stop calling them since they appear to be superfluous.

All of the 404 errors in your pageload must be cleared for work to continue.

Waterfall Detail: WebPagetest Test Details - Dulles : [url]www.the...orum.com/forum.php - 04/23/14 22:59:33[/url]

Hovering over the red lines gives you exact location called for.

One thing I do have to tell you Scooby, and please understand this isn't criticism - but really, you have way too many forums and subforums, you're looking like you are trying to be a encyclopedia rather than a forum. Every forum and subforum you have that is empty just makes your site look dead.

I recommend reducing those for the time being, you can always expand as traffic and usage dictates.

I couldn't agree more. You might consider using prefixes as a method to reduce forums, yet maintain the ability to sort by topic.

I don't think you should have more than 10 forums (preferably 6 or 7) so that you show more activity. Also it will be less confusing for new members to navigate, plus it will help with optimizing since you aren't loading as many forum status icons. You might even consider coming up with one custom status icon for all remaining forums....if you need help, I can lend a hand.

I'm going to try the prefixes mod, I don't really understand it much but I will in time. I've removed all status icon images for subforums and it's faster now, but not what I need it to be, and the problem is that I don't even have many members or activity yet, so I need to figure out some customization or do some more compressing of images I guess....

the problem is that I don't even have many members or activity yet
^^Because of slow loading (partially cured) and the fact that NO ONE can navigate the MORASS of forums and subforums you have!

I need to figure out some customization
Stop modding and start trimming the fat, you are still fat with over one megabyte of pageload. You have well over 100 images, many of which can be turned into progressive jpegs instead of the PNGs they are (you don't need it to be PNG unless it is carrying a transparency.) And ones which are larger in dimension than you are displaying them, need to be shrunk to dimensions closer to what you are scaling them to in the script.

Getting rid of most of your empty forums (hide them from the public until you actually find they are needed) will cut your load time drastically because you're also hiding the images they're coming with.

^^Because of slow loading (partially cured) and the fact that NO ONE can navigate the MORASS of forums and subforums you have!

Stop modding and start trimming the fat, you are still fat with over one megabyte of pageload. You have well over 100 images, many of which can be turned into progressive jpegs instead of the PNGs they are (you don't need it to be PNG unless it is carrying a transparency.) And ones which are larger in dimension than you are displaying them, need to be shrunk to dimensions closer to what you are scaling them to in the script.

Getting rid of most of your empty forums (hide them from the public until you actually find they are needed) will cut your load time drastically because you're also hiding the images they're coming with.

For the status icons I thought they had to be .png's, no? I can use .jpg's instead?

Definitely don't understand this: And ones which are larger in dimension than you are displaying them, need to be shrunk to dimensions closer to what you are scaling them to in the script.

And in regards to cutting forums out until needed, I'm really not sure how to go about doing that cause what if someone comes by and wants to post there, and that forum isn't there? That's my concern cause how am I supposed to know when it's needed?

For the status icons I thought they had to be .png's, no? I can use .jpg's instead?
Yes. Unless they have a transparency they don't need to be PNG.
Definitely don't understand this: And ones which are larger in dimension than you are displaying them, need to be shrunk to dimensions closer to what you are scaling them to in the script.
Look at image 127 in the image detail page i just linkied. You are displaying that much smaller on the page, but the full size image is what actually loads. You have several like this. Also, your floating "register" button. You can cut the physical size of that in half and save 20kb right there.

And in regards to cutting forums out until needed, I'm really not sure how to go about doing that cause what if someone comes by and wants to post there, and that forum isn't there? That's my concern cause how am I supposed to know when it's needed?
You are trying to cover all possibilities and there's no way to do so. In the trying, you are killing your traffic and members do not want to join a board with 100 forums on it. They want a place that loads fast, is simple to navigate and isn't offensive to the eye. In that order.

Have a feedback forum where users can ask questions like, "Where can I post my SolidWorks tips?" for example. This is how you find out.

Let your membership dictate what you offer in the way of categories and forums.

Yes. Unless they have a transparency they don't need to be PNG. Look at image 127 in the image detail page i just linkied. You are displaying that much smaller on the page, but the full size image is what actually loads. You have several like this. Also, your floating "register" button. You can cut the physical size of that in half and save 20kb right there.

You are trying to cover all possibilities and there's no way to do so. In the trying, you are killing your traffic and members do not want to join a board with 100 forums on it. They want a place that loads fast, is simple to navigate and isn't offensive to the eye. In that order.

Have a feedback forum where users can ask questions like, "Where can I post my SolidWorks tips?" for example. This is how you find out.

Let your membership dictate what you offer in the way of categories and forums.

I'll be on that first thing tomorrow morning!! Thank you so much Max Table! What a great idea 'Have a feedback forum where users can ask questions like, "Where can I post my SolidWorks tips?" for example. This is how you find out.' is !!!!

Have a wonderful night my friend!! :wave:

Just keep in mind these three items of what people are looking for in a message board and adhere to them. The 3 S's...

Speed. Must load reasonably fast. Every study on this shows people just leave if a page hangs.

Simple Navigation
- being able to find a place to post, easily. Not having to scroll through 100 forums and the long assed page that results. It's a big turnoff - most especially to your mobile users!

Soothing Look. Not garish, overdone and not offensive. Doesn't have to be dazzling, just tasteful and not a eyesore.

The goal is the happy balance between form and function.

Just keep in mind these three items of what people are looking for in a message board and adhere to them. The 3 S's...

Speed. Must load reasonably fast. Every study on this shows people just leave if a page hangs.

Simple Navigation
- being able to find a place to post, easily. Not having to scroll through 100 forums and the long assed page that results. It's a big turnoff - most especially to your mobile users!

Soothing Look. Not garish, overdone and not offensive. Doesn't have to be dazzling, just tasteful and not a eyesore.

The goal is the happy balance between form and function.

Getting better!

Started with this: WebPagetest Test Details - Dulles : [url]www.thecadcamforum.com/ - 04/23/14 17:41:53[/url]

Right now I'm at this: WebPagetest Test Details - Dulles : [url]www.thecadcamforum.com - 04/26/14 14:15:56[/url]

But it'll be getting even better results shortly!! Sure am glad I came over here to OzzModz and connected with you Max Table !!! :rockon:

Can you really believe the vast improvement from just a little dedication and work at it? Look even, at the towering improvement to first byte time.

You're still a little fat but you got it under 1 MB so that's good work so far. Five and a half seconds fully loaded time is pretty good for 162 calls and 950kb loaded, on shared hosting. The First Paint time is greatly improved as well.

Now for every addition you make, you want to run tests on it to see if it is messing you up. You have a track record now and a baseline to guide you.

More slim, more trim means more speed, every time. Good job so far.

Back