• OzzModz is no longer taking registrations. All registrations are being redirected to Snog's Site
    All addons and support is available there now.

Quick and easy way to leverage browser caching of static assets.

Btw, now that I have the ads out of the way, doesn't the waterfall copied below indicate that the vBulletin JS (specifically lightbox.js) is delaying my page load?
No, other elements are not being stopped from loading. You are still getting parallel downloads. Here's another shot of it too.

WebPagetest Test Details - Dulles : [url]www.leicaplace.com - 01/13/15 23:11:44[/url]

When other elements won't load before these .js and css files finish, that is when you have a problem. As you can see from the test above, lightbox may or may not load the same speed, every time.

And by the way stop using Chrome as the test browser. keep it strictly IE 10.

And you're right, dissing the adverts really speeds you up. I've mentioned in this very thread that everyone should do a audit of their adverts and do that good ole benefit analysis. If they are significantly impacting performance they should be significantly impacting your wallet as well. If not, why do you need them?

Last edited:
From the screenshot I posted, you can see that at least in some cases, the beginning of the window load event (onload) doesn't occur until after lightbox.js finishes. There is nothing else happening between subthanks.gif finishing and onload other than waiting for lightbox.js to finish:

15654776103_b511740b09_c.jpg

I don't have a "forum" directory. My forum root is my site root.

There is nothing else happening between subthanks.gif finishing and onload other than waiting for lightbox.js to finish
Other than, parallel downloads of 13 other objects.

Again, this is one example, using Chrome. But.... It's the example you want to see, right?

I am not worried about esoteric crap like deferring js or combining css when the site loads fast and smooth like this one now does. As you have seen, this was the least of your problems, which really weren't big ones anyway.

I won't worry about chasing those red herrings.

Other than, parallel downloads of 13 other objects.

No, those were done when subthanks.gif completed. And more of my site's visitors use Chrome than IE.

Ultimately this site is just a test place for me to work out things that I can do on my main sites, and removing the ads from those sites is not an option. So getting all A's by removing the ads doesn't help me at all other than to show me why I was getting bad grades before.

I do care about speeding up the sites, even a little bit, in any way I can. If combining CSS or defering JS can shave 0.25s before onload, then I want to go for it.

No, those were done when subthanks.gif completed. And more of my site's visitors use Chrome than IE.
It doesn't matter what the members use, Chrome is not reliable as a test tool. Users and their browsers are subjective anyway, because browsers cache. This is why we test.

Those13 objects were done WHILE lightbox was downloading, in parallel with it. They were not interfered with or interrupted by lightbox.

1.6 seconds to full page load on a vBulletin 4. That's excellent results. Nothing more I can do for you.

Point of diminishing returns, as it were. I give my time free of charge and in fact never charge anyone, but I also start to get a little bit niggardly with my time when it starts getting down to esoteric stuff that won't even give significant improvement.
If combining CSS or defering JS can shave 0.25s before onload, then I want to go for it.

It's feelgood stuff you're after now, ya see? Take all the time you need to play with that but, none of mine.

Alright, so we'll agree to disagree. Both about what those JS/CSS do to performance as well as whether fraction of second delays can have a significant impact on visitor behavior, business metrics, etc.

Alright, so we'll agree to disagree. Both about what those JS/CSS do to performance as well as whether fraction of second delays can have a significant impact on visitor behavior, business metrics, etc.
Once we solved the issue of 2-3 whole seconds. :heh:

Nobody does what you're talking about in vBulletin because it doesn't make any difference.

You're just married to a concept, and have those cool kid blinders on about it. Seen it bunches of times.

Carry on.

Especially when you contradict yourself.

You're simply looking in the wrong place for a neat toy we don't believe in. It's nothing personal Bub.

True? Or not?

True. But I did that BEFORE you advised me about anything today. BEFORE I got an "F" score for caching static assets. And I did not change it AT ALL in going from an F to an A or cutting seconds off page load time. I haven't contradicted myself once. You're just having a hard time understanding what I write.

Feel free to have the last word. I'm done wasting my time here.

True. But I did that BEFORE you advised me about anything today. BEFORE I got an "F" score for caching static assets. And I did not change it AT ALL in going from an F to an A or cutting seconds off page load time. I haven't contradicted myself once. You're just having a hard time understanding what I write.

Feel free to have the last word. I'm done wasting my time here.
It's a reach to assume that when you post that you did something, that means you did it just now? Not two days ago or whatever. We're supposed to be mind readers?

Anyway. You learned the adverts really kill speed. There IS a way to fix that, here's a really good article on it. Save alot more than just a quarter second.

Taming the Third Party Web Performance Beast - Zoompf Web Performance

BEFORE I got an "F" score for caching static assets.
You got the F only for your CMS page. The F on the forum page, never existed in any test I ran. The F for the CMS wasn't ONLY because of 3rd party stuff, if you look at the details I posted.

I think you're full of crap and are just trolling us, tell you the truth.

Back