• OzzModz is no longer taking registrations. All registrations are being redirected to Snog's Site
    All addons and support is available there now.

Shoutbox

faisaly.com

I would like to see a shoutbox on this forum...

Maybe some way of allowing shout permissions based on some kind of post count or something..

Just an idea...

I had one, but it was not used much, and I prefer the questions to be asked in the forums, and not in the chatbox. :)

Just generates a better community being able to talk direct with other users about anything really, not so much mods and templates etc...

no biggy...

Shoutboxes are stupid. They consume resources and reduce posting in the forums.

Posting in threads keeps a permanent, accurate record of what was asked, and answered.

Shoutboxes are stupid. They consume resources and reduce posting in the forums.

Posting in threads keeps a permanent, accurate record of what was asked, and answered.

Sorry dont agree with you on that one shout boxes may be stupid for you and that is your prerogative but for others that run their boards they like that type of interaction i know i do but this is Ozzy's site and he deemed not to have one which i respect that ..

i for one didnt put a chatbox in for me it was for my members that is what is needed to be remembered here you have these types of sites for the members so what you dont like as admin should take a back burner within reason that is

i am sure Ozzy has his reasons for not having it probably time is a factor

anyways for the members sake cant we take a different approach

i am sure Ozzy has his reasons for not having it probably time is a factor
He had one here and removed it. He decided it is not useful here, especially for people using it to ask for help with this or that. There was a whole, other thread about this at the time.

What I posted were my factual reasons, the cons if you will, against them. Not anything at all to do with user preferences, which can vary as widely as the users themselves do.

Joe aka BirdOPrey5 gave me some really sound advice way back when, years ago: "Give the members what they really need, not necessarily what they think they want."

Took me a minute or two of thought to get what he was saying there.

He had one here and removed it. He decided it is not useful here, especially for people using it to ask for help with this or that. There was a whole, other thread about this at the time.

What I posted were my factual reasons, the cons if you will, against them. Not anything at all to do with user preferences, which can vary as widely as the users themselves do.

Joe aka BirdOPrey5 gave me some really sound advice way back when, years ago: "Give the members what they really need, not necessarily what they think they want."

Took me a minute or two of thought to get what he was saying there.

lol your just not getting this

again what you post is your preference and i see you dragged joe in too that is funny

i personally do not care if you dont like the chat or joe likes the chat or whoever

what this is about is the members if you or ozzy or joe or any other admin out there dont want a particular mod that is your preference its also your preference to not cater to your members

but dont call something stupid just because you think it is cause the fact is that other members dont carry the same opinions you do

whatever Ozzy's decisions on what he does with his site is his alone
again you seem to argue a point in which i really am not arguing merely stating that you comment was un called for

i know whats in the other thread i posted in it

lol your just not getting this

again what you post is your preference and i see you dragged joe in too that is funny

i personally do not care if you dont like the chat or joe likes the chat or whoever

what this is about is the members if you or ozzy or joe or any other admin out there dont want a particular mod that is your preference its also your preference to not cater to your members

but dont call something stupid just because you think it is cause the fact is that other members dont carry the same opinions you do

whatever Ozzy's decisions on what he does with his site is his alone
again you seem to argue a point in which i really am not arguing merely stating that you comment was un called for

i know whats in the other thread i posted in it
If you like less posting and waste of resources and staff time to monitor and moderate, a shoutbox is for you. My opinion that it is stupid is just that - one man's opinion. It shouldn't bother you so, and it definitely does not warrant you telling me, what to say.. Or not to say. I don't do that to you, or anyone.

You might give some thought to what Joe was really saying - it's not what at first blush, it seems.

Oh and by the way - catering to members is noble and all, but the fact someone might not cater to the loud, shrill minority of them isn't in any way a pox. It's really a site to site type of decision whether to employ a shoutbox or not, and a technical site such as this really doesn't fit the chat mold. More social type sites definitely do though.

My opinion that it is stupid and wasteful - and ultimately detrimental, aside.

I mean, it's not like I don't personally know of several actual cases over the years where the use of shoutboxes killed the posting on boards, and even hurt google ranking because the content went stale. One recent such is happening right now, on a board of a reasonably popular talk show host who recently, stupidly, installed a shoutbox. Post count has been cut more than 70% there. Plus, they are losing long time members because as one recently said, "there's no one here to talk to anymore."

Their corporate guys are raising hell because of the big dip in advert revenue....

"Silly Wabbit," I told them - "Tricks are for kids!"

good points max but i still like the chatbox for my members and we get no such questions as you have described posting is how it has been which is high

nor has my rankings tanked ect ...

i am wondering if dragonbyte feels the same way about their chat shall we ask belazor to weigh in lol

opinion is opinion we agree to disagree

last post for me this is going no where

good points max but i still like the chatbox for my members and we get no such questions as you have described posting is how it has been which is high

nor has my rankings tanked ect ...

i am wondering if dragonbyte feels the same way about their chat shall we ask belazor to weigh in lol

opinion is opinion we agree to disagree

last post for me this is going no where
As long as you're not telling me what to say or not to say, it's productive. :smile:
agree to disagree
Why is that ever in question? It's the natural state of humanity, on just about any topic.

Back