• OzzModz is no longer taking registrations. All registrations are being redirected to Snog's Site
    All addons and support is available there now.

Site doesn't work with old Opera (maybe other older browsers too)

Alan_SP

I reported to you on vborg that your site doesn't work with older version of Opera (12.16). Ok, I actually needed to wait to register and report only here, but anyway, here's the report.

I don't know if it is problem for other browsers also, I don't use that many and older Opera is my favorite for some things that new Opera (18) based on webkit doesn't have. Anyway, when I try to go to your site with old Opera, I see just your site's IP address (http://185.18.61.99/) and after some time I receive message that connection was closed by server.

Maybe you block older browsers? I'm not sure, anyway, to let you know. If you could make it to work with my favorite old Opera, I'd be grateful.

That's a strange one, what about if you try it on a different style?

What is the user agent of your browser, it may be a mod blocking it. If you are unsure, check it out on your site in online.php, setting the User Agent to "Yes" in the Who's Online Options while viewing that page.

You're probably right, as I just saw that this is my IP, so probably it's problem with my UA and blocking certain UA strings (I use that mod also on my site).

This is my UA: Opera/9.80 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) Presto/2.12.388 Version/12.16

You're probably right, as I just saw that this is my IP, so probably it's problem with my UA and blocking certain UA strings (I use that mod also on my site).

This is my UA: Opera/9.80 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) Presto/2.12.388 Version/12.16

Ok clear your browser cache, and cookies then try with that browser again.

Glad to hear, it was actually the Ban Spiders mod that was causing it, the Opera/9.80 was was was blocking it in there.

Sorry for the trouble, but glad we got it sorted. :)

Yes, I use that mod also. I didn't know it was my IP address, I thought it was something with server configuration, otherwise I'd know to report that you probably blocking my UA. Anyway, now we know that this mod works. :D

Just for edification... The reason Opera/9.80 was on the ban list - it was once the browser of choice for a large botnet I took down about three years ago. They had designed a trojan specifically for it to infect it with the bot program to use any computer with it, as a zombie. Browser is so old and so rarely found in human use anymore, it made the list.

Yes, but old version of Opera (Opera now have new branch, webkit based) uses same UA, at least in the beginning of UA string. As you can see, actual Opera version is at the very end (12.16). Using this UA string blocks all Opera users who still prefer old branch, based on their own engine.

Yes, but old version of Opera (Opera now have new branch, webkit based) uses same UA, at least in the beginning of UA string. As you can see, actual Opera version is at the very end (12.16). Using this UA string blocks all Opera users who still prefer old branch, based on their own engine.
Yes I see that. I was merely explaining why the entry existed in the first place. :hug:

Well, it helps us all learn something more.

I blocked MSIE 10 and 11 users because I used to block "MSIE 1" for example. There were users who said they couldn't access my site and I couldn't find out why. On vBorg I found out why.

This tool is very powerful for blocking bots, but we also could block regular users. :(

Well, it helps us all learn something more.

I blocked MSIE 10 and 11 users because I used to block "MSIE 1" for example. There were users who said they couldn't access my site and I couldn't find out why. On vBorg I found out why.

This tool is very powerful for blocking bots, but we also could block regular users. :(
Yes it must be used judiciously!

Back