• OzzModz is no longer taking registrations. All registrations are being redirected to Snog's Site
    All addons and support is available there now.

CDN - Do you use one?

EasyEazy

Looking to use a CDN for my site but after some advice. Do you use one and if so which one? And also are there many benefits from using one?

I don't use one and this is after I did two years using CloudFlare.

I can see where it might be useful if you have alot of member posting traffic. And by that I mean something like 500+ posts per day. Basically the main function of a CDN is to deliver static content of your site to the user, from a location closer to the user than your host is. Reducing hops, reducing calls to your host server and making the site faster for them, ostensibly.

I found that if your site is not optimized, the CDN just delivers non-optimized content. It doesn't fix anything for you. And if your site IS optimized, it typically loads fast anyway no matter where in the world a given visitor is. So I decided I didn't need a CDN, and in fact most people don't.

It's not a "magic bullet" for increasing performance. And in fact if the CDN goes down, you are down. And that was happening far too frequently with CF to suit my tastes.

I don't use one and this is after I did two years using CloudFlare.

I can see where it might be useful if you have alot of member posting traffic. And by that I mean something like 500+ posts per day. Basically the main function of a CDN is to deliver static content of your site to the user, from a location closer to the user than your host is. Reducing hops, reducing calls to your host server and making the site faster for them, ostensibly.

I found that if your site is not optimized, the CDN just delivers non-optimized content. It doesn't fix anything for you. And if your site IS optimized, it typically loads fast anyway no matter where in the world a given visitor is. So I decided I didn't need a CDN, and in fact most people don't.

It's not a "magic bullet" for increasing performance. And in fact if the CDN goes down, you are down. And that was happening far too frequently with CF to suit my tastes.

do alot of gaming reviews and for that reason have a lot of images such as screenshots etc. I dont host them on my server I tend to use photobucket for now but was thinking of using a CDN for these. Would that better?

do alot of gaming reviews and for that reason have a lot of images such as screenshots etc. I dont host them on my server I tend to use photobucket for now but was thinking of using a CDN for these. Would that better?
I host all images locally. Third party image hosting services like photobucket ultimately have control of your images once you upload them, you don't. And if your images aren't optimized, the CDN merely delivers the non-optimized image - which if it also has a large file size, is still going to take more time to load whether it comes from a CDN or not.

Again, need of a CDN is really all about traffic. If you have the traffic to justify it, it becomes helpful.

I host all images locally. Third party image hosting services like photobucket ultimately have control of your images once you upload them, you don't. And if your images aren't optimized, the CDN merely delivers the non-optimized image - which if it also has a large file size, is still going to take more time to load whether it comes from a CDN or not.

Again, need of a CDN is really all about traffic. If you have the traffic to justify it, it becomes helpful.

Would that traffic include guests as well? At most points during the day I can have anything like 100 guests online

Would that traffic include guests as well? At most points during the day I can have anything like 100 guests online
One of my boards consistently has anywhere from 800-1200 guests online anytime you look. I don't need a CDN.

Back