• OzzModz is no longer taking registrations. All registrations are being redirected to Snog's Site
    All addons and support is available there now.

Forum Upgrade Tips

EasyEazy

Good morning all. Looking for a few tips from the experts.

We are upgrading our forums to a new version. Its a big jump in versions. I have ran a test on this and all seemed to go well but before I do it on our live site id like some tips.

We do a have fair few mods installed so what id like to know is whats the best course of action? Just drop all the new files into the forum, overwrite and run the script or do you guys disable all plugins etc before hand then run the script and enable each plugin one by one?

Any other advice is welcome.

What are you going from to?

Well best bet is to disable all your mods. I would also close the site while doing a upgrade as well.

Well that is not a big jump at all. So I would just disable them in the config file then.

Now a thing to note is, you might have to revert some templates, especially anything to do with the navbar, as from 4.2.0 and up, it is totally different than before.

Well that is not a big jump at all. So I would just disable them in the config file then.

Now a thing to note is, you might have to revert some templates, especially anything to do with the navbar, as from 4.2.0 and up, it is totally different than before.

Really? I thought it was HUGE. Bloody hell mate you just pissed on my chips.

We had alot of template issues. Is it better just to revert them all? Also the styles I have are probably way out of date. Should I just delete them before I start the upgrade?

I would not delete them. I would leave them there. Once the upgrade is complete, test on a unmodified default style, and if all is good, then you can start playing with the older styles, and see if they are indeed compatible.

As always though, make sure you do a full backup before upgrading, in case something goes wrong, you have something to fall back on.

I would not delete them. I would leave them there. Once the upgrade is complete, test on a unmodified default style, and if all is good, then you can start playing with the older styles, and see if they are indeed compatible.

As always though, make sure you do a full backup before upgrading, in case something goes wrong, you have something to fall back on.

Yeah got a full server backup ready in case it goes tits up. The testing went well to be fair. As you can see we not upgraded for a while so was a bit apprehensive but needs must.

Any chnace I could drop on you for some help if things do go south? I know your busy but knowing I got some advice on hand would be good.

Sure, but I am going to be going to work soon, so won't be around most of the day. But I will be on when I get home.

Just a quick one on the config file.

Do I really need to upload the new one from the new package or can I just remove that and use my current config file?

And all done. Thanks for the help Ozzy. Pretty straight forward and seamless. Got a few questions to ask about 4.2.2 but ill ask them soon.

Thanks again.

Back