• OzzModz is no longer taking registrations. All registrations are being redirected to Snog's Site
    All addons and support is available there now.

Text formatting issue - strange

Hey everyone,

Hope you east coasters are not getting snowed out too badly. we are getting hit tomorrow morning so I may just get a day off if the power goes out. A day off in a cold apartment. Nice.

Anyhow, I have a client who is having an issue with certain characters not displaying properly. He told me this started after he tried upgrading Dbseo. Dbseo is uninstalled now though and the problem persists. Dbtech told him to over write his Vbulletin files with fresh ones and upgrade which I was due to do tomorrow anyways but i am not sure if that will fix the issue.

His database is Latin swedish, unicode is set right now to convert to utf8. All i have tried so far is adding code to htaccess and global.php to ensure the utf-8 conversion and it has done nothing. i have cleared the cache and rebuilt but still the issue persists.

Do you guys have any insight on this and do you think it could have been caused by the dbtech update or something else? I have not yet worked with the latest Dbsep but have worked with the previous version on a couple sites and have had no such issues.

ok experts. feed me!

Thanks,
Rich

I have not even installed DBSEO yet, I purchased it when it first came out, but have yet to do anything with it.

Seems kinda strange they want him to upload the vB files though, I doubt the product changes any of them, but I guess it's a starting point.

I would do that, and if it don't work, have them fix it.

I have not even installed DBSEO yet, I purchased it when it first came out, but have yet to do anything with it.

Seems kinda strange they want him to upload the vB files though, I doubt the product changes any of them, but I guess it's a starting point.

I would do that, and if it don't work, have them fix it.

I agree about the files. This is why I really do not think Dbseo is the culprit. I am going to do the update tomorrow and see if that fixes it. it is one of those sites though that has every plug in under the sun. I did some seo for him months ago and since then he installed a hundred plug ins, moved to a different domain and has opted to pay someone for "offsite" seo which kills me.

I suspect it is one of the plug ins though disabling doesn't fix the issue. I will see what happens.

Thanks

I agree about the files. This is why I really do not think Dbseo is the culprit. I am going to do the update tomorrow and see if that fixes it. it is one of those sites though that has every plug in under the sun. I did some seo for him months ago and since then he installed a hundred plug ins, moved to a different domain and has opted to pay someone for "offsite" seo which kills me.

I suspect it is one of the plug ins though disabling doesn't fix the issue. I will see what happens.

Thanks
We can't save people from themselves, can we. Haha.

I found the issue. I spent hours yesterday searching for it and could not finf it but today, after a few hours sleep I find it in about 10 minutes.

He had
PHP:

in one of his php files before <?php

I do not know how it got there and it for sure wasn't dbseo.

As I said, I really small and simple thing that took hours to trace. Now I have to remove the code I added yesterday to make sure utf-8 was being pushed because the header tags were not showing it properly due to this. I am also still going to do the upgrade for him because who knows how many other files may also be effected somehow.

Thanks guys!

I found the issue. I spent hours yesterday searching for it and could not finf it but today, after a few hours sleep I find it in about 10 minutes.

He had
PHP:

in one of his php files before <?php

I do not know how it got there and it for sure wasn't dbseo.

As I said, I really small and simple thing that took hours to trace. Now I have to remove the code I added yesterday to make sure utf-8 was being pushed because the header tags were not showing it properly due to this. I am also still going to do the upgrade for him because who knows how many other files may also be effected somehow.

Thanks guys!
This is always one of the first things I think of, but for some reason spaced it this time.

That comes only and ever, from someone editing a PHP file with a text editor like notepad. For whatever reason it will insert these characters and they cannot be seen with the editor that did it. Must edit PHP files with real code editors such as notepad++ or TextEdit.

Yeah, I thought last night that it is what probably happened but I could not find the file. If I had his files stored on my pc here I would have used textcrawler and would have found it in minutes but I really did not feel like downloading his site files. What confused me is when he said it did not happen until after the dbseo install and the only file edit that requires is in htaccess and there was no issue there.

Dreamweaver is also good for causing those types of things and wordpad is notorious for messing up spacing big time. That brings up memory of building sites with Microsoft Frontpage using Windows 95 I believe though it could have been Windows 98. Shit I'm old.

I mostly use Winsyntax or notepad++ but htmlkit is pretty good too though complex to get the hang of.

Back