• OzzModz is no longer taking registrations. All registrations are being redirected to Snog's Site
    All addons and support is available there now.

When you have a hard drive crash, take heart....

Max Taxable

The Wyatt Earp of Anti-Spam
The solid state hard drives are getting price competitive with the old style disc models.

My HD crashed, stopped rotating and became essentially a hot plate in there. Long story short, I took my PC tower to a computer repair shop owner friend of mine, and saw on his counter something I had been reading about but had forgotten - Solid State Hard Drives.

Sandisk 120GB SSHD - 60 bucks. I popped for it, had him install Windows XP Pro on it, and ain't looking back at all. (I will NEVER give up my XP Pro - they will have to pry it from my cold, dead hands.)

Quick review of the SSHD - wonderful. I have never seen a computer boot up this fast. It boots up completely and is ready to work, faster than my monitors. But then after the bootup, it also operates greasy fast. Everything happens NOW with it... Everything runs blazingly fast, every program without exception. Even processor intensive ones like video editing and audio production, (Samplitude) run faster now.

Ya bring up Firefox? POP - it's there immediately with all tabs already loaded and ready to go in a eyeblink. How about Windows Media Player? BAM - there in less than a second with all your media already populated.

Because, the computer now doesn't have to "hunt" through the hard drive to find all the files it needs. I was able to back up my files and folders from the cloud server I save everything on, in just a little over two minutes and we're talking ALOT of data, well over 70 gigs worth.

There's no heat generated by this and it is immune to shock or vibration - so you don't even have to mount it, in your tower. It's also of course, completely silent.

My only regret is I should have shopped online and got the bigger drive - they make these with capacity up to 2 TB now - that's Terabytes.... I WILL do that, when my other HD takes a powder. It's a Western Digital 1TB drive that's only a couple of years old at this point. The one that locked up was about 8 years old.

So, take heart when your HD crashes - and yes eventually it will - and get yourself a SSHD to replace it. You'll be glad you did. Say goodbye to 7,200 RPM spinning platters - they're SO 20th Century...

UPDATE: All of my data was recovered, every byte. I now have a new Toshiba 2TB hard drive with the old operating system and all files and folders on it, and still have the 120GB solid state drive with yet another WinXP pro OS on it. Can boot to either.

The 2TB system is primarily for my digital audio work in my home studio. The SSD system is just for web browsing, working on sites, etc. Stuff that doesn't take alot of storage.

It's completely like nothing ever happened.

That's fantastic news. Did you send it in and have the platter transferred to another drive or was it something simple like a controller board? Was it pricey?

That's fantastic news. Did you send it in and have the platter transferred to another drive or was it something simple like a controller board? Was it pricey?
He froze the HD in a custom freezer with hookups for the HDs going through the side of the freezer to the outside allowing him to keep it frozen while he extracted all the data. Cost 60 bucks. Had this not worked yes he would have had to send it off, at more cost but not ridiculous.

He froze the HD in a custom freezer with hookups for the HDs going through the side of the freezer to the outside allowing him to keep it frozen while he extracted all the data. Cost 60 bucks. Had this not worked yes he would have had to send it off, at more cost but not ridiculous.

wow never heard of that before lmao.

I hadn't either. Dude's been in computers for over 30 years, obviously he knows a trick or two! I happily gave him my 60 bucks.

Back