• OzzModz is no longer taking registrations. All registrations are being redirected to Snog's Site
    All addons and support is available there now.

The Era Of Big Spam Is Over.

Hi guys,
many users continue to say me that when they try to sign up on my forum them receive the message "Block Spammers" and can't complete the registration.
The last one say me that him try to register this name "Claudio" and the system block him. I have tried and him have reason it seem that this name is blocked.
Someone can help me?
Thanks in advance.

Hi guys,
many users continue to say me that when they try to sign up on my forum them receive the message "Block Spammers" and can't complete the registration.
The last one say me that him try to register this name "Claudio" and the system block him. I have tried and him have reason it seem that this name is blocked.
Someone can help me?
Thanks in advance.
What anti-spam measures are you using? We don't recommend any here, which do "gotcha" messages.

Hi Max,
I'm using the mods you advice in this thread, but many time users say that when they try to register are blocked in that way.
Also another user "thefree" was blocked from registering.

Hi Max,
I'm using the mods you advice in this thread, but many time users say that when they try to register are blocked in that way.
Also another user "thefree" was blocked from registering.
None of the Mods we recommend block people by what username they are trying to choose, and none of them give "gotcha" messages to the would-be spammer.

You need to determine exactly WHY these folks are getting blocked. Dots in email addresses? How exactly is the blocking happening, and what is the EXACT message they are getting?

Knowing this will allow us to help out here.

The message that come is this: "Spammers Block"
And is visualized immediately after an user compile all the fields of the registration and press "Continue".

You can check trying to register on my forum http://www.sigarettaelettronicaforum.com a user with this username "Claudio"
and you will see that the registration is blocked.

If I open this with the "phrase manager" of my VB I can see:

Variable name: stopforumspam_error (ID: 179454)

Maybe this can help...

Last edited:
Variable name: stopforumspam_error (ID: 179454)

Maybe this can help...
It sure does. StopForumSpam is the culprit, not anything we recommend here. And this is exactly why we don't recommend it - it blocks legitimate people regularly.

Do you also have "Spam-O-Matic?" It also uses StopForumSpam.

Like Ozzy said, disable all this garbage or uninstall it.

Last edited:
Additionally, StopForumSpam is a 3rd party product you have no control over and is way too aggressive. We never recommend dependence on 3rd party products or databases.

Hi guys and many thanks for your replies.
Sorry for delay... but I was testing the registrations...

I have uninstalled StopForumSpam and Spam-O-Matic
but the users still tell me that they receive the same message...
the last username blocked was Stephan
What I can do??

Last edited:
Hi guys and many thanks for your replies.
Sorry for delay... but I was testing the registrations...

I have uninstalled StopForumSpam and Spam-O-Matic
but the users still tell me that they receive the same message...
the last username blocked was Stephan
What I can do??
Unfortunately you're gonna have to go to those developers, to find out how to get ALL of their garbage out of your stuff now. There's database tables, uploaded files, auto template edits that don't get removed by the uninstall option, all that. Not just the plugins.

Bad notice Max...
Yes so I will go to search from the developer what I can do.
Thanks guys for your tips. ;)

Last edited:
This article is really superb and covers every aspect of avoiding spammy registrations. Thank you for taking your time.

Back