• OzzModz is no longer taking registrations. All registrations are being redirected to Snog's Site
    All addons and support is available there now.

Would this be possible or not?

New Joe

Would this be possible to make as a mod?
If it was would it be a huge job to do?

So say a member sends a PM to the member 'Simon'
Instead of the actual PM going to 'Simon' it would go to me the admin 'New Joe'
Also all the PMs that this 'one' member sends will always go to the admin 'New Joe' this member doesn't know this so he/she is sending PMs to other members thinking they are getting them when actually they aren't as they are all being redirected to the admin 'New Joe'

But the member sending the PM didn't know this it is only me know knew this.

Can be done??

Cheers

Last edited:
I am sure it is possible, but not totally sure why you would need something like that, or exactly what coding would be involved.

I am sure it is possible, but not totally sure why you would need something like that, or exactly what coding would be involved.

I want it so a member thinks they are sending PMs to other members but really the PM never goes to such a member but it goes to the admin
The reason is to keep the peace but at the same time stop someone from PMing other members without knowing

TBH, it seems kinda silly, why not just tell the users to ignore the other user, then they won't get PM's from them.

There IS a Pm blocking Mod, not sure if it was ported for v4 however.

I see great usefulness in your Mod idea though Joe, in the area of PM spam. The spammer thinks he is sending the spam to regular members and doesn't know, it's going to the accounts he already identified and intended to avoid - the admin.

I don't want to block the user from sending PMs as then they will know this.
The member who is promoting things via PM should think all is well.
It's like the 'Tichy goes to coventry' way we used to have on the old vB 3, the user posts away but noone ever sees the posts.
Sometimes you don't want to ban someone, or block someone from doing things, but you just want that little tweak like this mod to stop them from doing something you don't want them to do.

I think it's a great idea:popcorn:

I can look into it when I get some free time, I don't think it would be that difficult to pull off, but not to sure till I get into it.

I don't want to block the user from sending PMs as then they will know this.
The member who is promoting things via PM should think all is well.
It's like the 'Tichy goes to coventry' way we used to have on the old vB 3, the user posts away but noone ever sees the posts.
Sometimes you don't want to ban someone, or block someone from doing things, but you just want that little tweak like this mod to stop them from doing something you don't want them to do.

I think it's a great idea:popcorn:
Tachy is global ignore, it's still part of vBull I'm pretty sure.

I think this Mod idea of yours is a good one and would have many uses.

Tachy is global ignore, it's still part of vBull I'm pretty sure.

I think this Mod idea of yours is a good one and would have many uses.

It is but they re named it to 'Global Ignore' not as fun sounding...lol..

But yes my idea of a mod is great, and I think many members on vb org will enjoy this
:becky:

Only trouble I see with it is how to make it so you can enable it per user, sending to certain recipients. Gonna take me a bit to figure that one out, but I might be able to use some code I did for another PM mod I did for another company.

Only trouble I see with it is how to make it so you can enable it per user, sending to certain recipients. Gonna take me a bit to figure that one out, but I might be able to use some code I did for another PM mod I did for another company.

Maybe per 'User Group'
That way you just move the user you want to the 'other' user group...

Well that would not work correctly. Lets say I want user A's Pm's to Simon, to go to me, and I want user B's Pm's to Ralph to go to me. Now if I add Simon and Ralph, to a setting, then if user A or B send a PM to either Simon or Ralph, they will go to me.

I need to figure out a way to do it per user, so A can PM Ralph, and B can PM Simon.

Well that would not work correctly. Lets say I want user A's Pm's to Simon, to go to me, and I want user B's Pm's to Ralph to go to me. Now if I add Simon and Ralph, to a setting, then if user A or B send a PM to either Simon or Ralph, they will go to me.

I need to figure out a way to do it per user, so A can PM Ralph, and B can PM Simon.

That made me dizzy reading that :roll:

LOl, you, I almost confused myself while typing it, and I knew what I was talking about. :typing:

Are these children you are trying to monitor? Do you ever envision having such a large forum that you wouldn't have time to micro-manage your members like that? I would just tell them to click the damn Report PM graphic. If a member harasses another member, they get the boot for a few days or years, whatever.

Sorry, but every time I see one of these discussions about reading other members PMs, the grumpy old fart in me comes out. I see no upside to it. I realize other admins think there is, but in my 20+ years of managing forums, I have yet to have a single instance where reading or intercepting a member's PMs was a necessity. Short of a court order, I would never do it. If a member can't be trusted to follow simple rules and behave like a responsible adult, then they don't need to be a member of my forum.

Just my opinion.

Jim

Nope this is an adult site.
It is a spamming member, spams links via PMs
Doesn't send normal PMs, but the way I want it to do it is the way I want it to do it.
I don't want to read other members normal PMs, there are already lots of those mods around
This is a one off member who thinks he will be still sending spam links via PM but instead the PM will be going to me, and I will just delete it.

A PM is a 'Private Message' so yes, in a way I agree with what you are saying, but this is not the reason for why I want it.

OK question, how do you know that the user doing the spamming is only sending the PM's to Simon?

Yeah, if the guy is a spammer, he sure isn't going to be satisfied with sending it to just one member. I would just ban the guy. There are more and better members than him just around the corner. I don't see any advantage to collecting his spam when it's easy enough to ban him.

I've worked adult sites. I know the "clientele." There is so much more going on at a site like that, not the least of which is the special security involved so your members feel safe. You leave a guy like that stay on your site and other, better members will leave. It won't matter that you are diverting his PMs, just the fact that he's on site, visible in either forum posts or in the who's online or member list, you will lose members. Bad actors on an adult site need to go away. Period. And if your members find out you can waylay PMs, how would you convince them you would never do that to them? Some just won't believe you.

I think you are just making this too difficult. Kick his ass out. Be free of him.

Again, just my opinion.

Jim

Back