• OzzModz is no longer taking registrations. All registrations are being redirected to Snog's Site
    All addons and support is available there now.

A little advice

I would suggest posting that in Jose's mod thread on vB.org

Will do!

I did find it strange that a single mod would more than double my first byte times but proved it to myself to many times to ignore. I just wonder if a was on a faster server if this would be seen.

Will do!

I did find it strange that a single mod would more than double my first byte times but proved it to myself to many times to ignore. I just wonder if a was on a faster server if this would be seen.
That's not reliable just on one day's testing. Keep testing it daily because on shared hosting, other sites sharing the same machine can cause you to have bad first byte time, regardless of any mods you have installed.

It might not even be you causing the slowness, ya see?

That's not reliable just on one day's testing. Keep testing it daily because on shared hosting, other sites sharing the same machine can cause you to have bad first byte time, regardless of any mods you have installed.
Yes i do agree with you with that but for 2 days worth of testing big improvement just enable the mod i see it every test i do. If disabled good response again at all different times of the day and yes at times i do see slow response and load times but not as bad as seen with mod enabled. I do understand other site may bog down the server i am on but so far so good. We will see and I will keep checking!

Yes i do agree with you with that but for 2 days worth of testing big improvement just enable the mod i see it every test i do. If disabled good response again at all different times of the day and yes at times i do see slow response and load times but not as bad as seen with mod enabled. I do understand other site may bog down the server i am on but so far so good. We will see and I will keep checking!
You might test your theory even further and disable the hook system entirely, for testing. Get yourself a baseline of a battery of tests over several days, see how native vB performs vs. vB with hook system enabled.

After the tests of course, just turn the hook system back on. You might be on to something.

Here's a little more detailed look at your site loading on a IE 10 browser with a cable connection... This is the baseline test I use.
OK I just enabled the mod check now and look at first byte times. And i may just do what you said with the hook setting when i get a chance.

OK I just enabled the mod check now and look at first byte times. And i may just do what you said with the hook setting when i get a chance.
That's in AdminCP by the way, not necessary to edit the config.php file. In case you didn't know.

You have too many sections and categories for your user base. The activity will be spread out too thin and it will appear to be even slower that it is. I would recommend consolidating forums as much as possible until you get a larger member base.

You might test your theory even further and disable the hook system entirely, for testing. Get yourself a baseline of a battery of tests over several days, see how native vB performs vs. vB with hook system enabled.

After the tests of course, just turn the hook system back on. You might be on to something.

Lets start off with its NOT the hook system or even Joe's Mod It's MY SERVER! :mad:

This is what i did Disabled the hook system and much to my surprise My first byte times almost doubled and yes on many test runs! Ok then dawned on me I use VB optimize. Ran a series of test with VB optimize disabled and my server lack of resources reared it's ugly head once again! With VB optimize disabled it no longer mattered if joe's mod was enabled or not first byte times suck!:( Re enable optimize and same results as before that convinced me that it was Joe's mod and it wasn't, My server just had to run through a little more php and first byte time increased.

Thank you for questioning my results made me look deeper into the issue.

Boy I bet mod developer's hate guy's :eek: like me that don't look before they leap and give wrong info! :eek: :eek: :eek:

It happens, most developers have thick skin, but some just get way to upset when someone questions their code. :)

You have too many sections and categories for your user base. The activity will be spread out too thin and it will appear to be even slower that it is. I would recommend consolidating forums as much as possible until you get a larger member base.

I was waiting for someone to mention that and you are correct but not sure how i could combine forums with the subject matter. If i don't brake it down it would get confusing for the user. But i will give it some thought!

It happens, most developers have thick skin, but some just get way to upset when someone questions their code. :)

I did post on Joe's mod my issue and retracted it as soon as i discovered my error just hope he is not one of those to get way to upset!

Lets start off with its NOT the hook system or even Joe's Mod It's MY SERVER! :mad:

This is what i did Disabled the hook system and much to my surprise My first byte times almost doubled and yes on many test runs! Ok then dawned on me I use VB optimize. Ran a series of test with VB optimize disabled and my server lack of resources reared it's ugly head once again! With VB optimize disabled it no longer mattered if joe's mod was enabled or not first byte times suck!:( Re enable optimize and same results as before that convinced me that it was Joe's mod and it wasn't, My server just had to run through a little more php and first byte time increased.

Thank you for questioning my results made me look deeper into the issue.

Boy I bet mod developer's hate guy's :eek: like me that don't look before they leap and give wrong info! :eek: :eek: :eek:
I suspected something like this due to years of experience with site optimization and testing.... You can always delete your vB dot org post.

Hey man this is how we all learn, don't kick yourself. Good men admit when they mess up, too. No shame in your game.

I was waiting for someone to mention that and you are correct but not sure how i could combine forums with the subject matter. If i don't brake it down it would get confusing for the user. But i will give it some thought!
I'd watch out with moving threads and forums and such too much with v4.2.2. Although you might have too many cats and forums now, (matter of preferences and opinion) at least there's room to grow into.

It's not so much lack of resources, it's overselling of the shared machine by the host.

Yes agreed! For me i think i will just wait to i can get my forum established and move to a dedicated instead of looking for a new host and gamble on the outcome!

Back