• OzzModz is no longer taking registrations. All registrations are being redirected to Snog's Site
    All addons and support is available there now.

The Era Of Big Spam Is Over.

Hi all,
I just opened my site http://helmer.co and I had to disable spambot stopper because I enabled question and answer "which is working well so far". Do you know if the author is still working on this mod and any thoughts if he might be open to fixing this before I post on the other site asking him?

Hi all,
I just opened my site http://helmer.co and I had to disable spambot stopper because I enabled question and answer "which is working well so far". Do you know if the author is still working on this mod and any thoughts if he might be open to fixing this before I post on the other site asking him?
I don't understand the question. You're saying Spambot Stopper stopped working?

And yes, the author is a moderator at vBorg and still supports his Modifications.

I use Spambot Stopper on my sites and have installed it on several other sites, and no problems have occurred.

I don't understand the question. You're saying Spambot Stopper stopped working?

And yes, the author is a moderator at vBorg and still supports his Modifications.

I use Spambot Stopper on my sites and have installed it on several other sites, and no problems have occurred.

Thank you for your reply. What happened is with Q&A turned on when you press the register button it never registers the user as the timer does not appear to run with Q&A enabled.

John

Thank you for your reply. What happened is with Q&A turned on when you press the register button it never registers the user as the timer does not appear to run with Q&A enabled.

John
I use Q&A with this, have no issues.

You're saying the visible timer is no longer working? Probably a good idea to post this in the developer's vBorg thread and he'll see if there might be a conflict there he can quickly fix. I don't ever use the visible countdown - never saw the point in tipping off botnet admins that there's a timer in use.

So, let's start at the beginning. You enabled the Q&A why? Because the Spambot Stopper stopped working? You were getting spam?

No, I just wanted to use the Q&A for another layer. I have the register button showing. When I have Q&A enabled even if I wait two minutes, it does not register me. It acts like the Q&A does not allow the timer to start. If I turn off Q&A everything works as expected.

John

No, I just wanted to use the Q&A for another layer. I have the register button showing. When I have Q&A enabled even if I wait two minutes, it does not register me. It acts like the Q&A does not allow the timer to start. If I turn off Q&A everything works as expected.

John
Definitely sounds like something you want to let the developer know about.

Rename register...help

Hi...I added this tonight but as soon as I made my site back live the spam registers started right back.....any thoughts...

Also does it matter that everyone can see what I renamed the register.php file to?

Thanks,

Chris

Hi...I added this tonight but as soon as I made my site back live the spam registers started right back.....any thoughts...

Also does it matter that everyone can see what I renamed the register.php file to?

Thanks,

Chris
Please provide link to site in question.

There is no way you are still getting spammed if all the tips in the OP are followed, complete with the block lists as well.

I just did the rename register Mod...not the others yet..... site is rzrlife.com/vb4

chris
That's actually the last one you need... I've personally come to doubt its effectiveness and have removed it from the recommendations in the OP.

I followed the directions on this thread a few months ago after Glowhost seemed to be blocking registrations. Things worked well until several week ago when I started getting hammered with new registrations that were obviously from spambots.

I checked my settings against the latest notes in the main post and realized one of the mods wasn't turned on (I believe it was Ban Spiders)! I turned it on and re-downloaded and added the appropriate lists.

However, since then (about 2 days ago) I've had 9 new spam registrations. Less than the bombardment before, but still considerable. Does it take a while for Ban Spiders to start filtering out?

I followed the directions on this thread a few months ago after Glowhost seemed to be blocking registrations. Things worked well until several week ago when I started getting hammered with new registrations that were obviously from spambots.

I checked my settings against the latest notes in the main post and realized one of the mods wasn't turned on (I believe it was Ban Spiders)! I turned it on and re-downloaded and added the appropriate lists.

However, since then (about 2 days ago) I've had 9 new spam registrations. Less than the bombardment before, but still considerable. Does it take a while for Ban Spiders to start filtering out?
There will be some human spam registrations get through. There will be some bots get through, particularly if your timer setting is too low and they're coming from a really bad proxy, which they are wont to do anyway.

The ban spiders list must be constantly updated when new bad agents are discovered. Same is true for the stop registrations by host mod.

When a spammer makes it through it is helpful for you to grab this information and share it here, so the lists can be updated for everyone.

Check your ban spiders list to see if it has MSIE versions 2-6 in it. Also, how was this mod turned off?

Ozzy released a new Mod which I will add to our ammunition here, a plugin that blocks registration if the submitted email address contains too many dots or other punctuation in the email username.

Please provide a link to your site, for evaluation of the registration process.

Each time we have had reports here of spamming continuing, invariably it's because one or more of the Mods we recommend either isn't set right, or has another Mod on the board conflicting or interfering with it.

Thanks much! Site is FWrestling.com. Appreciate this thread and your continued update.

Currently installed:
  • Ban Spiders 3.0.3
  • Prevent Hostname or Useragent from Registering 1.0.3
  • Spambot Stopper 1.1.1
  • Rename register.php by BOP5 1.1.5
  • Block Registrations With Spam Like Email 1.0.1 (just added today)

All other spam filters/mods I was using were completely removed when I reset everything a few months ago.

MSIE 2-6 are included in Ban Spiders. Not sure how the mod was turned off, or honestly, if I just never turned it back on. Very odd either way.

Stopper minimum elapsed time is at 30 seconds. Maximum is at 0.

Thanks again! Definitely appreciate any suggestions you have or errors you find. Have had 9 regs today that are clearly spam.

Last edited:
You had 9 today after adding all the mods?
Did you use the lists I provided in the first post with your mods?
How is it you know they were spammers?

You're leaving the timer visible (The countdown) - alerting the human spammers a timer exists. Alot of those use auto-register programs the timer would otherwise catch. You're tipping them off.

Spammers defeated recaptcha long ago. All it does is annoy legitimate humans. I recommend turning it off and use none of the other native vB human verification.

The settings of the new Ozz Mod - how did you set them?

Would need a admin credential login to check your anti-spam settings to verify everything is set up right. You would be surprised how often it is not.

TBH, I show the timer as well, because some people can fill out the form pretty dang quick, like me. :)

You had 9 today after adding all the mods?
Did you use the lists I provided in the first post with your mods?
How is it you know they were spammers?

Had 9 today with all mods in place except the new one -- just added it a little while ago.

Definitely used the most up-to-date lists when I was double-checking everything last Friday.

I know they're spammers either because they tried to post spam and got moderated or because the email addresses are odd ones like [email protected].

Back